Legal Obligations

Prior to getting married, you must meet certain obligations under the Marriage Act 1961.

A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be lodged with your Marriage Celebrant. This must be done no more than 18 months and no less than 1 month and 1 day prior to your wedding day. If you don’t meet this requirement then your wedding is not legally recognised. There are certain circumstances that you can apply to have your NOIM lodged later – contact me as soon as possible to see if this can be arranged.

Usually the NOIM must be signed by both parties and the required documentation must be provided. However there are some instances where this can be waived – please contact me as soon as possible to check what is required.

At the lodgement of the NOIM, you will need to provide:-

  • Birth Certificates
  • Decree Absolute (if previously married)
  • Death Certificates (if widowed)
  • Annulment Papers (if previous marriage annulled)

If you don’t have a copy of your certificates, you can usually obtain them from the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Make sure you do this as soon as possible so that there are no delays. If you were born outside of Australia and you don’t have your birth certificate, you can provide your passport and a Statutory Declaration instead - please contact me as soon as possible to check what is required. IMPORTANT: An Australian passport cannot be accepted under any circumstances and statutory declarations only apply to persons born overseas.

If you have any concerns about the legal obligations you are required to fulfil, please don’t hesitate to contact me to discuss the matter. I will endeavour to assist you as much as I can.

Glenda was so warm and kind & listened to what we wanted to do. I feel we knew Glenda on a personal level & that was great. To us Glenda wasn’t a Celebrant, we felt like we had known her for years. I will definitely recommend her to any friends or family. 
Krystal & Clinton English